A trusted and constructive workplace health and safety regulator, WorkSafe Victoria is passionate about preventing injuries in the workplace and providing support to injured workers. Founded on care and driven by collaboration, the Health and Safety Business Unit within WorkSafe is committed to getting Victorians home safely every day. Seeking to grow their team with professionals whose expertise, insight and passion will help to achieve a safer Victoria, they provide a positive culture with the opportunity to make a difference on a broader scale.
WorkSafe is going through an exciting and transformational period of change. We are implementing our WorkSafe 2030 strategy which provides us with a significant opportunity to innovate and transform our business so it better meets the needs of our stakeholders.
The Hazardous Industries & Industry Practice Division play an integral role within the Health & Safety Business Unit and consist of specialist teams responsible for the dissemination of technical and professional services with regards to Construction, Major Hazard Facilities, Earth Resources, Health and Agriculture.
About the role
Reporting to the Director - Major Hazards & System Safety, this role will be based in the Melbourne CBD. The purpose of this role is to lead and manage WorkSafe’s Major Hazards Analysis and Planning function. This includes collection and analysis of data that is then used to plan and design specific programs of work and areas of focus. The role also provides equivalent data analysis support to the other Hazardous Industries (Earth Resources and Construction Programs). The role also oversees all internal processes and procedures used across the Major Hazards Program. This is therefore a key leadership and influencing role with the Major Hazards Program and other Hazardous Industries.
Key responsibilities within this senior role include:
- Developing specific Major Hazards work programs in response to key risk areas and industry trends
- Identifying incidents worthy of investigation for learning value and collection of data, and ensure such incidents are investigated.
- Developing data-driven and risk-based oversight plans for each Major Hazard Facility.
- Developing and maintaining fit for purpose internal working procedures for the Major Hazards Program.
- Managing the collection, analysis and use of data to drive programs of work in the Major Hazards, Earth Resources and Construction sectors.
- Maintaining the High Consequence Risk Index across the Hazardous Industries.
- Allocating resources to support the Safety Case assessment and licensing activities
- Monitoring and managing performance of the Major Hazards Planning Team and its team members
Skills & experience
- Highly developed analytical and research skills, including the ability to identify patterns in complex data sets.
- Strong critical thinking and understanding of accident causation in complex, high risk environments
- Experience developing safety intervention programs in response to identified gaps
- Experience in an industrial environment, preferably high hazard.
- Highly-developed interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Proven leadership and team development skills
- Relevant tertiary qualification relevant to the Major Hazards industry preferred
Benefits & culture
In return we offer a range of great benefits, including work variety, workplace flexibility and leave options, learning and development opportunities, study support, a leading health and wellbeing program, and discounted corporate health insurance rates. We pride ourselves on being a great place to work and offer flexibility to facilitate work/life balance.
This position will remain based in the Melbourne CBD and relocate to our new offices at 567 Collins Street in late 2018.
Only people with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position. You may be required to undergo a National Police Check as part of the recruitment process.
Applications close midnight 10th June 2018, though interested candidates are encouraged to submit their application as soon as possible. Click the link to apply, and join us in making a difference to Victorian lives. Confidential inquiries can be made by contacting Roma Grant on 9641 1807.
WorkSafe are striving to build a diverse workforce that reflects the Victorian community we serve.