- Full time permanent role with monthly RDO
- $86,112K + Super (Band 6)
Moreland City Council is located in the inner northern suburbs of Melbourne and is one of the most populous and culturally diverse municipalities. Located in Coburg, Moreland City Council is just 8km from the CBD and offers excellent public transport and cycling access for employees.
The newly structured communications unit is responsible for effectively communicating and engaging with the diverse community and stakeholders of Moreland in relation to Council services, projects, activities, achievements and values, through various channels. A key part of this is managing Council’s reputation through strategic communications, issues management, and maintaining and enhancing Council’s identity.
As the Communications and Media Officer, you will deliver high quality communications to engage the community, effectively liaise with the media, strategically work with council officers to effectively communicate about complex work.
Some of your key responsibilities will be:
- Provide operational and strategic communications and media support to the Strategic Communications Coordinator.
- Identify and analyse critical and emerging issues, referring issues with a high risk of reputational damage to the Strategic Communications Coordinator for guidance.
- Deliver responsive, situation-specific communications actions for issues referred by the Strategic Communications Coordinator.
- Collaborate with the Strategic Communications Coordinator to develop marketing and communications plans and campaigns for large, complex and critical programs and projects.
- Analyse the use of media and outcome of media campaigns, reporting successes and improvement opportunities to the Strategic Communications Coordinator.
- Contribute to communication strategy development and implement adopted communication strategies and plans.
- Identify media opportunities that further Council’s engagement and interaction with the community.
- Respond to media enquiries, prepare media releases and facilitate media launches.
- Respond to social media enquiries and communication requests.
- As part of the business partner model, provide support to a Council branch or department by providing communications advice, coordinating communications and pro-actively managing the business partner relationship.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Tertiary qualification in communications, journalism or a related discipline or a lesser qualification with substantial relevant experience in the field of communications.
- Knowledge and experience managing social media content planning and positively engaging with the community through social media.
- Ability to identify critical and sensitive issues and to respond appropriately with sound judgement.
- Experience coaching and training staff in the use of communication and engagement planning, tools and practices.
- Experience in developing end-to-end communication and engagement plans and working collaboratively with staff to deliver effective communication and engagement.
- Demonstrated ability to identify media opportunities that further Council’s engagement and interaction with the community.
- Experience managing strong relationships with the media, responding to enquiries, preparing media releases and facilitating media launches.
What we can offer:
- Monthly RDO
- Extensive opportunities for training and career development
- Salary sacrifice options
- A real sense of Work-life balance
- Employer-supported study assistance schemes
For further information please contact Jessamy Nicholas on 9240 2431
Applications close: Sunday 30th June, 2019
To apply and obtain a position description please visit our website
Moreland City Council is proudly diverse and an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community, people with disability, and people from every culture, gender and sexuality identity, age and ethnic background. Moreland City Council is committed to being a Child Safe organisation and has zero tolerance for child abuse.