Band 6: $87,041.24 - $94,749 per annum + super
Permanent, Full-Time position: monthly RDO. Flexible work options also available.
Only Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are eligible to apply for this position.
- Join the Darebin City Council in the newly created Aboriginal Employment and Programs Officer position. Support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander job seekers enter the Darebin City Council workforce.
- Help make Darebin Council an employer of choice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people by building an environment where Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders leadership can emerge and thrive.
- Build on long standing relationships with the Darebin Aboriginal Advisory Committee, Traditional Owner groups and Aboriginal community organisations.
About the role:
The position supports the delivery of the Darebin Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment Strategy and Action Plan. The major objective of the position is to aim increase career pathways, helping to continue to make Darebin Council a culturally safe workplace, which is an employer of choice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
The position works collaboratively with the Aboriginal Partnerships Officer, other parts of Council and a range of external partners to identify and deliver projects and initiatives guided by Council’s Statement of Commitment to Traditional Owners and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
To be successful, you will need to be able to demonstrate:
- Experience in community engagement and an understanding of issues affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, particularly regarding barriers to employment.
- Experience in project management, with projects working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community and organisations preferred.
- Excellent ability to build and maintain relationships and partnerships with the Darebin Aboriginal Advisory Committee, Traditional Owner groups and Aboriginal community organisations.
- Empathy and cultural awareness - demonstrated ability to build trust and rapport with diverse community groups.
Only Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are eligible to apply for this position. This action constitutes a special measure under section 12 of the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (Vic).
Shortlisted applicants are welcome to bring a support person to their interview and receive copies of the interview questions prior to the interview.
Benefits of joining:
- Monthly RDO and flexible working options and arrangements available i.e. part time, job share.
- Cultural leave provisions.
- Receive job security as a permanent member of local council.
- Salary sacrifice options available.
- Training and professional development opportunities.
- Annual incremental salary increases.
- Opportunities for secondments and promotions within Darebin Council.
- Walking distance from Preston train station and tram stops.
- Onsite car parking available.
- Social activities and social club as a member of the Darebin Council.
- Comprehensive health and wellbeing program, including free access to physio, yoga and fitness classes.
- Provided with laptop and mobile phone.
- Green travel incentives
- Access to fleet vehicles for work purposes.
For specific questions regarding the position contact Mandy Bathgate, Coordinator Equity and Diversity on 03 8470 8365 or Stuart McFarlane, Aboriginal Partnerships Officer on 03 8470 8366
Applications close Tuesday, 28 January 2020 at 12pm AEDT.
How to apply:
Submit your application online via our careers page, with your up to date resume. Cover letters are not required.
If it is difficult to access a computer to submit an online application, hard copy applications are also accepted. Please address these to: Manager, People and Development, Darebin City Council, PO Box 91, PRESTON VIC 3072.
The City of Darebin is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organisation, or other non-merit factors. Darebin are committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, and thorough ‘Safety Screening’ processes apply.