Workplace Health and Safety Officer - [Archived Advertisement]
Australia Zoo (View other jobs from this organisation)
Workplace Health and Safety Officer
An exciting opportunity has arisen for someone to join our Executive team in a Full Time Capacity as a Workplace Health and Safety Officer!
Australia Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, where we recognise the diversity of our workforce and community - be it on the basis of gender, age, race, sexual orientation, or religious belief. We provide specific workplace programs to support diversity and equal employment opportunities for women, people with disabilities and all cultural backgrounds.
In holding this position, you are required to ensure that employees are operating within a safe, OHS-compliant environment. You are required to offer expert knowledge and skills in order to generate and promote a positive health and safety culture. This represents a key role in helping to control occupational risk. You are required to plan, implement, monitor and review the protective and preventative measures that Australia Zoo (and related entities) requires and work to minimise operational losses, occupational health problems, accidents and injuries.
You will be required observe, assess, and report on the safety performance of the workplace, and develop procedures that meet safety guidelines.
A successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to work in a high performance environment with a capacity to deliver all requirements of the role, great work ethic and the ability to work to a high standard within a team.
Duties May Include:
- Direct and assist Managers/Supervisors to compile Risk Assessments and safe work procedures for their departments
- Direct and assist with the development of all departmental policies and procedures
- Annually review all departmental procedures and risk assessments
- Direct and co-ordinate Hazard Reporting procedures
- Direct and co-ordinate Incident Reporting
- Organise and conduct WH&S representatives meetings bi-monthly
- Organise and conduct evacuation drills regularly
- Organise and conduct emergency procedure drills regularly
- Organise and co-ordinate yearly smoke alarm testing
- Organise and co-ordinate regular audits and inspections on Zoo plant, equipment and services as required
- Assist with the compliance of contractors to our Safety Management Systems
- Ensure all relevant Advisory Standards are current and available on request
- Ensure all policies and procedures are up to date with current legislative requirements
- Maintain and oversee the Emergency Procedures and SDS Register
- Assist monitoring and review of our Water Efficiency Management Plan
- Undertake regular audits and checks of WHS throughout all areas of the business
- Compile and co-ordinate the Asbestos Register and Management Plan
- Organise full zoo WHS audits as required
- Preparation of proposals and organisation of quotes as required
- Providing weekly reports in regards to WH&S
- Oversee all workplace Rehabilitation & Return To Work
- Promote occupational health and safety across the business and develop safer and healthier ways of working
- Inspect work areas and equipment to ensure they meet safety regulations and to identify hazards and risks
- Ensure departments comply with organisational procedures and safety standards
- Work with staff, contractors and other professionals to ensure the safety of the workplace and staff
- Ensure personal protective equipment (such as hearing protection, dust masks, safety glasses, footwear and safety helmets), is being used in workplaces according to regulations
- Ensure dangerous materials are correctly stored
- Identify potential accident and health hazards
- Ensure all departments and staff are aware of, and comply with, all legislation relating to its duty of care, workplace activities and policies and procedures
- Record and report hazards, accidents, injuries and health issues and resolve situations.
- Assist with the investigation of accidents and unsafe working conditions, study possible causes and recommend remedial action
- Conduct training sessions for all departments and staff on health and safety practices and legislation
- Assist with the rehabilitation of workers after accidents or injuries
- Coordinate emergency procedures
- Communicate frequently with General Managers to report on the status of occupational health and safety
- Develop occupational health and safety systems, including policies, procedures and manuals.
- Inspects and audit department operations and processes. For example, plant, and chemical and physical hazards for legislative compliance.
- Co-ordinates the return of injured workers into the workplace.
- Train and advise employees in personal protective equipment and safe working procedures.
- Promotes ergonomic principles within the workplace such as matching furniture, equipment and work activities to the needs of employees.
- Record and investigates injuries and equipment damage, and reports safety performance.
- Control and resolve hazards and risks in the workplace.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, to document and deliver content to employees
- Keen observation skills to monitor the safety performance of a workplace and identify risks or hazards
- Strong problem-solving skills to suggest necessary changes to unsafe work conditions
- Excellent organisational skills for all documentation related to workplace compliance and WHS program to educate employees
- A strong work ethic and ability to communicate and collaborate with others
- Cert IV in WHS or equivalent current qualifications
- Experience & knowledge of WHS practices
- Current 1st Aid certificate
- Experience managing contractor relationships
- Highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (including Excel, Word, Outlook, Powerpoint etc)
- General knowledge of Industrial Relations legislation
- Excellent organisational & time management skills
- Ability to deal with people - having maturity, integrity, compassion and empathy
- Highly proficient with reporting & documentation
- Hold current Driver’s Licence
- Available to work weekends, public holidays, and school holiday periods
- Cert IV in Workplace Training & Assessment - TAFE
- Drug & Alcohol Testing Accreditation
- WP Rehabilitation & Return to Work
Applications close 16th of May 2021.
- Closing Date:
- 16 May 2021
- QLD - Beerwah
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Return to Work/Injury Management
Safety and Wellbeing