Senior Legal Counsel - Employment & WHS - [Archived Advertisement]
Senior Legal Counsel - Employment & WHS
- Are you an experienced IR and WHS legal professional?
- Can you provide practical and risk-adjusted advice to managers and executives?
- Join CSIRO for your next exciting challenge, apply today!
The Enterprise Legal Team is part of the Governance function within CSIRO’s Operations Group and is responsible for providing strategic legal advice and practical legal support to CSIRO’s Board, Executive, Business Units and Enterprise Support Services.
The Enterprise Legal Team provides expert legal advice and support across a range of practice areas, including corporate governance, compliance, administrative law, privacy and freedom of information (FOI), property, procurement, work health and safety (WHS), workers’ compensation, employment, industrial relations, litigation and research ethics.
The role of the Senior Legal Counsel (Employment & WHS) is to provide high-quality, expert legal advice, tailored to meet the requirements and circumstances of internal clients and taking into account CSIRO’s strategic objectives, in the focus areas of industrial relations/employment and WHS.
Your duties will include:
- Providing expert legal advice, documentation, and support in relation to a wide range of industrial relations/employment and WHS matters including complex cases, terminations of employment, notifiable incidents, and applicable duties.
- Providing advice that is accurate, clear, timely, practical, risk-adjusted, and solutions-focused; and which considers strategic priorities, applicable law, and relevant CSIRO and Commonwealth policy considerations
- Developing a deep understanding of CSIRO’s strategic objectives, business operations, internal and external stakeholders, political context, and relevant industry partners.
- Demonstrating strong legal leadership by exercising strong initiative and influence to build relationships with key internal clients, and strengthen the position of the Enterprise Legal Team as a “trusted advisor” at Board, Executive, and all operational levels of CSIRO.
- At all times, maintain confidentiality when dealing with personal and commercially sensitive information.
- Generate improved solutions to complex problems and resolve issues efficiently and effectively using creativity, reasoning, and past experience.
Location: Negotiable - Black Mountain, ACT preferred
Salary: AU$139k - AU$153k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 12 months
To be considered you will need:
- A degree in law from an Australian tertiary institution, or a comparable overseas qualification, which is appropriate to the classification and duties of the [Senior] Legal Counsel (Employment and WHS) role with a minimum of 6 years of demonstrated post-admission experience.
- A current Australian practising certificate or entitlement to hold an Australian practising certificate.
- Demonstrated deep and extensive technical knowledge in the dedicated legal practice areas of industrial relations/employment and WHS.
- The ability to work efficiently and effectively, with minimal supervision, as CSIRO’s senior industrial relations/employment and WHS law adviser and, in partnership with relevant in-business teams, to effectively support the strategic objectives and operations of CSIRO.
- Flexibility in thinking and responding to organisational change by adapting strategies, goals, and priorities by utilising your ability to anticipate and manage problems in ambiguous situations, develop appropriate solutions based on thorough evaluation and interpretation.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Sunday 23 May 2021, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 23 May 2021
- ACT - Black Mountain
- AU$139k - AU$153k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: