- Full time permanent role with monthly RDO
- $96,699K + Super (Band 7)
Moreland City Council is located in the inner northern suburbs of Melbourne and is one of the most populous and culturally diverse municipalities. Located in Coburg, Moreland City Council is just 8km from the CBD and offers excellent public transport and cycling access for employees.
The newly structured communications unit is responsible for effectively communicating and engaging with the diverse community and stakeholders of Moreland in relation to Council services, projects, activities, achievements and values, through various channels. A key part of this is managing Council’s reputation through strategic communications, issues management, and maintaining and enhancing Council’s identity.
As the Strategic Communications Coordinator, you will lead the delivery of a consistently high standard of proactive, planned and integrated communications focusing on enhancing Council's approach to strategic and corporate communications.
Some of your key responsibilities will be:
- Lead and manage the Strategic Communications team.
- Collaborate with team members and key stakeholders to proactively identify emerging and critical issues and develop responsive, situation-specific communication actions.
- Provide timely briefings to the Communications Unit Manager about emerging and critical issues, including proposed actions and the impact of previous actions for each issue.
- Provide strategic communications and advice to the Communications Unit Manager, the broader Communications Team and key internal stakeholders.
- Manage the establishment and review of corporate communication standards, processes and guidance.
- Facilitate the coaching and training of key staff, including Councillors and leaders, in corporate communication, standards and processes.
- Develop communication plans to support Council’s large, complex and critical programs and projects.
- Lead a coordinated approach to implementing communication plans, ensuring the individual staff involved are aware of and deliver against their actions.
- Provide advice and guide the development of publication, design and campaign materials.
- Manage Council’s relationship with the media by providing timely and professional responses to media enquiries, coordinating media launches and developing press releases.
- Provide direction, generate ideas and lead the production of internal and external publications including the staff newsletter, City News (Council’s weekly advertisement and Inside Moreland magazine.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Tertiary qualifications in public relations, journalism or communications
- Highly developed writing skills with the ability to write for different audiences and a range of media
- Demonstrated experience developing and delivering dynamic and engaging communication plans for complex projects
- Strong time management skills with the ability to manage and respond to many requests and tasks within demanding timelines
- Demonstrated experience in leading a team of professional staff
What we can offer:
- Monthly RDO
- Extensive opportunities for training and career development
- Salary sacrifice options
- A real sense of work-life balance
- Employer-supported study assistance schemes
For further information please contact Jessamy Nicholas on 9240 2431
Applications close: Sunday 30th June, 2019
To apply and obtain a position description please visit our website
Moreland City Council is proudly diverse and an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community, people with disability, and people from every culture, gender and sexuality identity, age and ethnic background. Moreland City Council is committed to being a Child Safe organisation and has zero tolerance for child abuse