Human Resources Manager
Bionics Institute (View other jobs from this organisation)
Human Resources Manager
TIMESCALE: Full time (12 months fixed term contract)
SALARY: $81,487 - $95,381 (negotiable, depending on qualifications and experience) plus access to salary packaging
SUPERANNUATION: 9.50% employer contribution
APPLICATIONS CLOSE: OPEN UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED.
The Bionics Institute is an independent medical research institute, passionate about multidisciplinary research and product development that leads to clinical outcomes that improve lives. Our vision is to lead the world in innovative bionic health solutions through research and development. We are at an exciting phase with research focused on improving outcomes for people with hearing loss and exploring a range of new devices for the alleviation of symptoms associated with neurological disorders and inflammatory conditions.
Reporting to the CEO, the Human Resources Manager is responsible for managing all Human Resources related functions at the Bionics Institute. This includes developing, implementing, and coordinating HR policy & procedures covering employee relations, recruitment and induction, work cover, performance management, organisational planning and for providing high level support and advice within the Institute. The incumbent has one direct report and is located at the BI laboratories, Daly Wing, St Vincent’s Hospital Fitzroy.
- Provides advice, coaching and support to all managers & staff
- Proactive in monitoring staff morale, employees and their wellbeing and for raising serious (or potentially) serious concerns early with the CEO
- Provides strategic advice to the CEO and COO by;
- Investigating and recommending improvements
- Suggesting solutions to problems as they arise
- Assists with employee grievances
- Participates in staff contract management issues including non renewal of contracts, preparing documentation and coordinating approvals
- Performs exit interviews and acts (where appropriate) on feedback
- Co-ordinates Performance Development Framework, KPI incentive & bonus scheme, incremental advancement and contract renewal.
- Co-ordinates the Promotion process for both Research and General Staff.
- Promotes & monitors the effectiveness of the Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- HR representative on promotion committees & other committees as directed by the CEO.
- Updates and develops HR Policies as and when required
- Monitors Industrial Relations and HR practices, attends relevant briefings and workshops to ensure currency of information and advice.
Learning and Development
- Identifies & manages targeted learning and development programs
- Provides strategic advice on succession planning
Recruitment & Induction
- Manages the recruitment process for all Institute positions including the drafting of advertising copy, liaising with advertising agencies and electronic web sites, preparing position descriptions, shortlisting candidates, participating in reference checking/interview panels and negotiations where required.
- Prepares letters of offer, employment contracts and other employment documentation.
- Manages the Induction Process and ensure that all new staff, students and visitors are effectively integrated into the organisation.
- Ensures New User forms and Exit forms are completed for all staff movements
- Co-ordinates visits of overseas researchers and students and assist with the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship visa and sponsorship requirements.
Workforce Planning and Contract Management
- Regularly inform and provide recommendations to the CEO and COO for effective workforce planning and management of staff contracts
- Manages the implementation of the above plans
- Works closely with finance and prepares the monthly payroll advice including some calculations relating to employment arrangements.
- Inducts new staff in relation to salary packaging policies and procedures, including calculation of package
- Assist the Finance Dept. in the correct allocation and reconciliation of payroll costs
- Assists staff with all payroll and salary packaging related enquiries.
- Monitors annual leave and long service leave balances and works closely with staff to ensure balances are not in excess of BI policy
- Works closely with Finance to share information and assists with grant/budget allocations of employees
Human Resource Information Management System
- Manages and updates the HR Management system for all staff and students (Sage)
- Manages all employee personnel & online files (including archiving of past employees)
- Ensures adequate safety instruction, induction and training consistent with each employee’s duties is provided to all staff and students.
- Acts as chair on the OH&S Advisory Group meetings
- Acts as the Institute’s return to work coordinator
- Responsible for managing all work cover claims
- Works closely with the Laboratory Manager and ensures that workplace incidents and near misses are reported, documented and corrective action has taken place.
Other Administrative Responsibilities
- Manages the part time HR Officer & Student Coordinator
- Secretary for the board sub committee; People, Performance & Culture Committee
- Presents HR updates at the monthly all staff meeting
- Updates and prepares HR policies as and when required.
- Manages the Bionics Institute honorary appointments
- Prepares the HR Board Report.
- Drafts reports, correspondence etc. as requested.
- Prepares and updates content for HR web and BI intranet sites.
- Authorises security swipe and proximity cards for BI staff/visitors located at St Vincent’s.
Level of Supervision, Independence
Whilst some direction is provided by the CEO the HR Manager is expected to work with a high level of independence and is expected to exhibit initiative without the need for close supervision.
Problem Solving, Judgement
The incumbent is responsible for continuing to review and develop the HR function within the Institute as well as providing high level support and advice on all HR related matters. The incumbent is expected to have the ability to research and recommend effective solutions to complex problems as and when required.
Interpersonal and Organisational Skills
The incumbent will require highly developed interpersonal skills, the ability to build strong relationships and obtain trust and co-operation from a wide range of people, both more junior and more senior to this position. The incumbent requires a high degree of organisational skills, attention to detail and the ability to deal with sensitive and confidential issues with tact and discretion.
The incumbent will require strong management skills including project planning, implementation, coordination of resources and focus on achieving key outcomes.
Minimum training level, qualifications and experience
- Completion of a tertiary qualification in the human resources field
- Demonstrated experience in a HR management/generalist role within a small organisation
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff and management
- Strong time management and organisational skills and excellent attention to detail
- Sound knowledge of the principles and legislation underpinning all aspects of HR
- Prove ability to maintain confidentiality and to work with sensitivity and perception
- Pro-active with a can do attitude
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (including Powerpoint, excel, word)
- Previous experience in the research, higher education or NFP sector
- Previous payroll experience
A police check is required
Applications can be emailed to HR-Applications@bionicsinstitute.org
The position is currently vacant and we will commence interviewing immediately. If you are interested in this role please submit your application as soon as possible
For further information or a confidential discussion please contact:
Amelia Cavanagh, HR & PR & Communications Manager on (03) 9667 7537 or email@example.com
“The Bionics Institute is an equal opportunity employer and female applicants are encouraged to apply. The Institute maintains a smoke free workplace and a workplace free from sexual harassment. The Bionics Institute’s workplace embraces the Occupational Health and Safety Standards”
- VIC - Fitzroy
- $81,487 - $95,381 (negotiable, depending on qualifications and experience)
- Work Type:
Coaching and Mentoring
Industrial & Employee Relations
People and Culture
Recruitment - Internal
Workforce Planning/Talent Acquisition