HSE Manager - Environment - [Archived Advertisement]
HSE Manager - Environment
cknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Develop and drive the delivery of health, safety and environment (HSE) programs
- An indefinite position, in a flexible and supportive environment
- Lead and implement HSE projects to enable strategic outcomes
Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) at CSIRO engages with all levels of the organisation to deliver future-focussed and leading-edge initiatives to significantly improve CSIRO’s well-being and HSE culture. CSIRO has an exciting opportunity for a HSE Manager – Environment to join their passionate team.
As the HSE Manager - Environment, you will proactively partner with, coach, and positively influence CSIRO’s operational line management and HSE advisors to deliver HSE priorities aligned with broader organisational goals. You will provide tailored support and coordinate the consistent delivery of improving HSE outcomes and metrics, HSE activities, and initiatives for the Environment business unit across regions and the wider organisation. You’ll provide support with process safety risk identification and engage with a range of stakeholders across the organisation to develop solutions to complex HSE issues.
Your key impact will be to improve CSIRO’s HSE and wellbeing culture through the delivery of HSE goals, initiatives and programs. Join an organisation creating tomorrow today and apply now!
Your duties will include:
- Driving, strengthening and supporting the implementation of CSIRO’s HSE plan whilst helping to improve the HSE performance of the organisation through technical leadership, influence, and strong communication.
- Leading HSE and process safety risk identification, assessment, control and risk assurance processes to support research activities at the laboratory, field work, small vessel operations, and pilot plant scale activities.
- Driving the consistent delivery of CSIRO’s HSE activities across businesses and multiple operational sites to cultivate a consistent approach to HSE.
- Leveraging and harnessing proactive partnering relationships with key site leaders and people, HSE Executive Business Partners and external stakeholders through being a trusted advisor, listening, discussing and providing clear advice towards set goals.
- Developing knowledge and understanding of any unique HSE needs across the business or sector to drive the delivery of HSE priorities and initiatives, with a focus on consistent future-focussed and positive HSE practices becoming embedded across the organisation.
- Coaching to enable the growth and development of BU Directors, Site Leaders, staff and HSE team members in utilising best practice and leveraging capability and communities of practice to improve HSE Performance.
- Guiding, supporting and empowering HSE Advisors to develop solutions to complex and challenging HSE issues in partnership with relevant workgroups.
- Establishing, motivating and leading successful teams of people that can seamlessly work across multiple sites and business units to build both positive working relationships and influence positive, consistent HSE outcomes.
- Other duties as directed.
Location: Hobart, Canberra, Adelaide or Brisbane (Dutton Park)
Salary: AU$121k - AU$142k pa plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite, Full-time.
To be considered you will need:
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant HSE degree, engineering or risk management along with at least 5-10 years’ demonstrated experience in leading HSE management within large or complex organisations. Experience working with industry scale operations such as in mining, oil & gas, manufacturing or energy highly desired.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and facilitating HSE and process safety hazard and risk studies such as HAZID, HAZOP, Fault Trees, FMEA, hazardous area classification, chemical reaction hazards assessment,.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of HSE legislation and codes of practice as well as experience with the integration of process safety principles to support research activities in areas including safety in design, change management, adequate diversity and redundancy in the control measures.
- A significant record of influencing and effecting impactful HSE changes in team culture in alignment with the strategic direction of the organisation. Further, a strong track record of enabling positive organisational change, by innovating and adapting strategies, goals, and priorities, and driving culture change in health and safety.
- Demonstrated collaborative leadership skills and the ability to & lead remotely – utilising collective leadership skills to create connection across all teams within the HSE function and with other stakeholder teams.
- Demonstrated experience in collaboratively sharing and utilising team resources to provide a seamless and organisational approach to the delivery of the HSE strategy.
- A proven ability to coach and be the trusted advisor to leaders by influencing a positive culture where HSE is prioritised and considered ensuring alignment between client needs and CSIRO’s objectives. A strong record of influencing HSE teams and internal and external stakeholders on at times contentious HSE matters to provide a seamless organisational approach to the delivery of the HSE plan.
- Exemplify strong interpersonal skills in managing client expectations. Communicates clearly (both in orally and in writing).
- A strong working history of understanding goals and targets, taking accountability, driving outcomes and delivering on commitments & achieving results. Ability to take direction, deliver on set objectives and a passion for continued learning, development and growth in yourself and in others.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian/New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents. Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
CSIRO is committed to values-based leadership to inspire performance and unlock the potential of our people.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
19th March 2023, 11:00pm AEDT.
- Closing Date:
- 19 Mar 2023
- AU$121k - AU$142k pa plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Environmental Health and Safety
Safety and Wellbeing