Director of People & Culture - Full/part-time
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is one of Australia's leading medical research institutes, with over 700 scientists, students and support staff. We pioneer study into the most widespread diseases affecting our community today, including cancer, neurodegenerative and mental diseases, disorders of the immune system, diabetes and obesity, osteoporosis and other skeletal disorders.
The Human Resources Team provides a range of strategic and operational services for Garvan and its people. These areas include organisational development, employee engagement, policy development, recruitment and retention, training, diversity and performance management. The team's focus is on supporting the strategic objectives of Garvan as well as its people and aims to develop a positive, engaging and high performance culture.
We are now seeking an experienced Director of People & Culture to work with the COO and assume responsibility for delivering a seamless HR service across the organisation, ensuring the effective management of all HR activities and day-to-day operations including organisational development, performance management, policy development, attraction and retention of talent and support of institute wide initiatives. This may be filled on a full or part-time basis on a 3-year fixed term in the first instance.
The key responsibilities include:
- Work closely with and build collaborative networks with senior leadership and all internal clients to ensure the strategic plan is achieved and that relevant people and development plans are aligned to meet strategic and operational objectives.
- Develop, maintain and be a role model for a culture among staff that is open to change and supports continuous collaboration, respect and accountability.
- Work collaboratively with the COO to identify, develop and implement key organisational culture, engagement and change initiatives and strategies.
- Manage end-to-end workforce planning including job design, recruitment and selection processes, onboarding new employees, and coaching and liaising with line managers.
- Lead, monitor and review the performance management system ensuring that appropriate plans are in place for managing retention, talent and career development.
- Ensure that all training and professional development is linked to organisational goals and coach individuals to improve performance and capability.
This is an excellent opportunity to work in a social, inspiring workplace, located in modern offices with on-site cafe, close to public transport and Darlinghurst's trendy restaurants. You will be joining a collaborative and well established team and rewarded with a competitive salary and attractive salary packaging options.
The successful candidate will be an experienced Human Resources professional and will demonstrate the following key skills and attributes:
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline, ideally with a post graduate qualification
- Solid HR generalist experience, preferably in consulting, professional services, academia, pharmaceutical/science, not-for-profit, or similar environment
- Breadth of experience in developing and delivering organisational and cultural change initiatives
- Well-developed coaching and mentoring skill
- Strong influencing, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Project management skills
- Strong leadership skills and experience managing and developing a team
- Solid experience in managing performance and misconduct issues
- Strong up-to-date knowledge of Industrial Relations and employment law
- Be a highly confidential professional who can exercise sound judgement and integrity
- Experience in HRIS
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
This position will remain open until 22 March 2019. As we will be reviewing applications as they are received, we encourage you to submit yours as soon as possible.