Media Advisor - [Archived Advertisement]
City of Parramatta (View other jobs from this organisation)
The City of Parramatta is going through unprecedented change and transformation as it becomes Sydney’s Central City. The intensity of growth and investment in City of Parramatta means that Council, its partners, and community have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to shape the City’s future and ensure it is culturally, socially, environmentally, and economically sustainable.
About the role
This position is responsible for providing expert media advice and strategy for City of Parramatta Council. This position involves working flexible hours including nights and weekend work if needed.
On a daily basis you will:
- Monitor news cycles and prepare briefings and media responses in a timely manner.
- Develop proactive and strategic media plans including the maximisation of promotional opportunities, in consultation with the Media team and other teams as required.
- As Council’s primary point of contact for media - research and write media releases, briefings and other written material that is relevant, timely, accurate and has a high impact.
- Liaise with local, metropolitan and specialist media on matters, manage issues that may emerge and provide information that is relevant, timely and accurate.
- Coordinate and attend events and activities, and provide all relevant background and preparatory information for activities.
- Proactively seek opportunities including thought leadership articles and interviews as well as prepare and implement media campaigns for the benefit of the City of Parramatta Council and the local government area.
About the person
The successful candidate should have previous experience working in the media industry. It would be preferred, but not essential, for applicants to have government experience. The successful candidate will also have:
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including extensive experience in preparing media releases, statements and supporting material.
- Highly developed interpersonal and negotiation skills, as well as excellent time management and organisational skills.
- Experience in developing and implementing effective media campaigns and managing issues.
- Ability to maintain a network of contacts across a number of stakeholder groups including media and government.
- Degree qualification in Communication, Journalism, Politics or Public Relations or another appropriate qualification combined with at least five years of experience.
- Specific qualifications in media relations or communications.
- Knowledge of current government policies, structures and processes.
What’s on offer
We are offering an attractive salary from $114,209.52 p.a. plus Superannuation. City of Parramatta also offer excellent employee benefits which can be accessed by the successful candidate.
Want to know more?
Further information regarding the requirements of this role can be found in the attached Position Description, alternatively for a confidential discussion please contact Katrina Sichlau on 9806 5884.
How to apply
Candidates MUST apply online at https://www.cityofparramatta.nsw.gov.au/about-parramatta/careers and answer the position selection criteria. Applications close 9pm, Monday 25 October 2021 and will not be accepted through any other medium.
The City of Parramatta supports a Drug and Alcohol-free working environment and employees may be subject to random testing as a result.
City of Parramatta Council embraces diversity and encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from Multicultural backgrounds and people with disability. We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to provide a positive, barrier-free recruitment process and supportive workplace.
Please note you must be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident or have unlimited working rights in Australia to apply for this position.
Previous applicants do not need to reapply.
- Closing Date:
- 25 Oct 2021
- NSW - Parramatta
- From $114,209.52 p.a. plus Superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Communications, Engagement & Facilitation